Thursday, February 15, 2007

All Hail the Beautiful Snow Day!


I find the hype created around snow storms amusing. The "Big One" was scheduled to fall on Valentines day and I heard forecasts for my area between 2 inches and 36 inches. I guess I've become skeptical of predictions because they rarely amount to anything.

The students, however, walk around the school almost carrying the excitement of possibility. Now there are a few things that create such anxiety and excitement in school: a full moon, a school scandal, the day before any vacation, and of course, the beautiful snow day!

I personally like to feed the fire. I guess I think it's much more work to squash rumors, so I generally add to weather related ones. "Yes, but I heard 48 inches!" "I think they already called school off for the next 4 days." "I hope I DON'T see you tomorrow!" "We're getting out early, but I don't know exactly what time. Make sure to pay attention to your other teachers and listen to all announcements!"

OK, perhaps this isn't the best solution but does create many humorous moments.

I also attempt to explain to my students that teachers are just as excited (maybe even more) for a snow day. For some reason that is the hardest thing for students to swallow, believing that most teachers have no first name and sleep under their desks. It's true, though. I hope for snow days - yes, I even pray! What is it about a snow day that seems to right all wrongs? Could it be as simple as a break in routine? Perhaps it's much needed rest for the weary. I'm not sure I'll ever know why, but I do know that all teachers hail a beautiful snow day!

The "Big One" did hit our area hard yesterday! I think now that all is said and done, we got about 36 inches dropped on our small town.

4 comments:

Kimberly B said...

I thought surely we were getting out today for snow, since it was snowing to beat the band this morning, but it quit. We actually got an email from the superintendent around lunch to tell us that we *weren't* getting out...

Mrs. Susan Kline, Instructor said...

Thanks for posting that wonderful picture of your snowy day! ~Susan

Judy said...

We should have "sun" days in California when the sky is so blue and the Mountains look like you can just reach out and touch them. It's those New Years days in Pasadena, which everyone sees all across the Nation! God's Beauty on display
~Judy

Alane said...

Ahh, the gloriousness of a snow day - yeah right!
Yes, the students do not have school and can therefore, stay home or play in the snow.
The teachers, however, are up all night listening to the radio and talking on the phone in order to learn what the Military deems is necessary for their community.
A snow day means frantically shoveling snow all morning. German law states that if your neighbor should fall on your property, you are responsible for his injuries. A snow day is still a teacher workday so we must all brave the icy roads (even though the roads are labled black and the public transit has shut down) to "check in."
Yes, I would love a snow day where I could rest, sip hot choclate by the fireplace, or play outside in the wonderful powdery white.
Alane