Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Death to Smoochie

When I moved into my new room at the beginning of the school year, I had no idea that I had moved into makeout alley! I guess the hallway right outside my door is the best place to sneak a little (or big!) smoochie from your honey...

I've been counting the number of times today that I have been subjected to a public display of affection in the hallways. I'm not really in the hallways all that often as I'm most often teaching in my room! Considering that I may spend a total of 20 minutes (at the most!) in the hallway, seeing 9 couples going at it is excessive!

Perhaps I should turn the tables some day...Imagine the "shock and awe" that might occur if students witnessed their teachers kissing a significant other in the hallway between classes. I am quite convinced that I would get several dirty looks, inappropriate comments and a trip to the main office - not mention a permanent nickname that I may never know.

Last year we tried to convice the married couple on staff to kiss a little during one of the lunch periods...just to give the students a taste of what it's like. It didn't actually work out - the couple wasn't so thrilled about the idea!

Do you suppose I could write off a camera phone on my taxes? I'd love to send a snap shot home with the caption, "Do you know what your child is doing at school?" I wonder how that would go over...

6 comments:

Dr Jim Brown said...

Yes, "PDA" is a problem at many campuses. Clever idea about using the camera phone. However, in today's PC climate - I wonder if you'd be guilty of something? Seems the ACLU would object for some reason ("invasion of privacy" - even though they are in the open.) It would make a good research topic ... and would probably be a wake-up call to parents if they actually saw that.

Too bad you couldn't "gross-em-out" by getting the married couple to help out ... oh well.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Dr B

Mrs. Susan Kline, Instructor said...

At the community college, I have witnessed smooching and hugging on the staircase, etc. Because they are adults, I don't find this offensive. However, I did find fondling and kissing in the computer lab offensive. Why do you suppose this is?

Alane said...

In Germany the legal age for drinking and clubbing is 15. Whenever I go downtown, I frequently see students; so, I get to see the PDA at school and around town!

Mrs. Susan Kline, Instructor said...

Fifteen?#!@ Oh my! ~Susan

Pam said...

WOW, I hope these kids understand what they are getting into. Some time ago, while I was still in the classroom, I witnessed this type of behavior between 2 former students who were then in middle school. It was after school and I didn't think much of it. However, about 2 years later, I saw the girl of the couple on the playground after school and she was carrying a baby. I asked her if she were babysitting and she said," No, he's mine and Chris's". I was shocked. She was in high school. Thankfully, she did finish high school. I hope however, they didn't marry, as Chris was a gang member!

Pam C

Judy said...

This is a funny story. Problem is if you got the married couple to show affection, the kids with their cellphones would take pics and it would be all over the internet. Maybe ask the kids what their take is on showing affection in public?
~judy